Saturday, January 31, 2015

Why pop-up books?

Some of you may wonder why I chose to investigate the pop-up book for the Apex 2.4 project for S681.  Some of you may not because you still have a child-like sense of fun and wonder for creativity.

My mother has collected pop-up books over the years, and I have been truly mystified as to how these books were created.  Look at how the Beast jumps out at the reader from the page!
Sabuda, Robert.  (2010)  Beauty & the Beast.  New York, New York: Little Simon.
I'm a fan of comics and graphic novels for the way they bring together art and storytelling.  Pop-up books do the same, on another level as the artists construct their foldable creatures and landscapes.  I look forward to exploring the history of this highly unusual book form!

(Shout out to my mom for allowing me to peruse her collection!  Click on any picture to get the original size.  And forgive any strange skips such as the one seen in the top right corner of the above image...I'm using the Panoramic feature of my iPhone to get the full effect of some of these pop-ups, and very sensitive.  I'm finding out just how shaky my hands are! )

No comments:

Post a Comment